Teens charged with attacking man near Taste of Park Ridge - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Teens charged with attacking man near Taste of Park Ridge

Posted: Updated:
Jordan Gonzalez, Mac Piazza / photos from Cook County Sheriff's office Jordan Gonzalez, Mac Piazza / photos from Cook County Sheriff's office
PARK RIDGE, Ill. (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

The alleged beating of a man by teenagers amidst a large crowd in northwest suburban Park Ridge’s Hinkley Park last weekend was caught on video, Pioneer Press is reporting.

Footage obtained by the Park Ridge Herald-Advocate shows a man in a yellow shirt pushed to the ground and then punched and kicked by three individuals while a raucous crowd looks on.

About halfway through the 1-minute, 23-second clip, voices in the crowd can be heard chanting, “USA, USA,” as the man begins walking away. But he is pushed a second time by one of the young men before another individual positions himself between the two in what appears to be an attempt to keep the suspect away from the man.

Park Ridge Police Det. John Dorner said the video is consistent with others that detectives have viewed of the incident, which occurred just before 10 p.m., July 12, not far from Taste of Park Ridge festivities. Police estimated there may have been as many as 200 teens in the park that night.

Other individuals in the crowd can be seen recording the altercation as well, and at one point, someone can be heard shouting, “Turn the cameras off.”

Police have charged three teens with felony aggravated battery and mob action for the attack: Jordan Gonzalez, 18, of the 1000 block of Arthur Street in Park Ridge; Mac Piazza, 18, of the 6200 block of North Northwest Highway in Chicago; and a 16-year-old boy.

Police say the attack left the 48-year-old Park Ridge man with a concussion.

Gonzalez and Piazza appeared in court Wednesday, where bond was set at $40,000 and $30,000, respectively.

Both remained in custody at Cook County Jail as of Thursday afternoon, but if bond is posted and they are released, they will be required to wear an electronic monitoring device, police said.

The 16-year-old has been petitioned to juvenile court.

Police said Gonzalez, who had attended Maine South High School and was listed as a member of the varsity football team last year, was on juvenile probation at the time of his arrest.

According to police, the altercation occurred after fireworks were reportedly set off at Hinkley Park and one exploded near the feet of the victim — who was at the park looking for his son — and a group of girls who were standing nearby.

“He took exception to that and began inquiring about who did it,” Jogmen said.

A crowd reportedly gathered around the man and began verbally assaulting him before the physical altercation began, police said.

Detectives say no other arrests in connection with the man’s beating are likely, though they are still investigating other, undisclosed occurrences at the park that night.

Police are also hoping to locate the teen who, according to witnesses and video footage, appeared to try to stop one of the suspects from approaching the man a second time. They hope to thank him for his actions.

“It took a lot for him to do that,” Jogmen said.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices