Paralyzed Eric LeGrand to speak at Rutgers graduation - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Paralyzed Eric LeGrand to speak at Rutgers graduation

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM/AP - Former Rutgers University football player Eric LeGrand will speak during this month's commencement after all. LeGrand, who is paralyzed, said he had his invitation rescinded on Monday.

He took to Twitter to say that former Gov. Tom Kean would be the speaker and that his invitation had been pulled "for political reasons." But on Tuesday, Rutgers said LeGrand would be addressing the class of 2014.

"It was never our intention that Eric would be the only speaker. We have resolved that miscommunication and are delighted to have him participate," said Rutgers University President Robert Barchi in a statement to the media.

LeGrand was paralyzed during a 2010 football game and his recovery has become a rallying point for the university. He is graduating from the university this month.

The university had to scramble to find a new speaker for the May 18 ceremony after former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice withdrew on Saturday. Some students and faculty had protested her selection.

MYFOXNY/Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
  • FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices