Family questions actions of 2 DC firefighters after death of 51- - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Family questions actions of 2 DC firefighters after death of 51-year-old woman

Posted: Updated:
Bridgette Boone Bridgette Boone

The daughters of a Northeast Washington woman are looking for answers after their mother died in her home just hours after an ambulance crew came to help her.

Two firefighter-EMTs put the 51-year-old back in bed after she fell. But according to the family, they never assessed the woman's medical condition.

Those firefighters are now under investigation.

The family will be the first to tell you Bridgette Boone told the firefighter-EMTs she did not want to go to the hospital. They put her back in bed and then left without doing anything else.

Boone's 17-year-old daughter found her dead just a few hours later.

Should more have been done? Boone’s daughters say “yes.”

Last Wednesday morning on April 9th, Bridgette Boone was not feeling well. In fact, she was so concerned about her health, she asked her 17-year-old daughter, Brittany, to skip school and stay by her side.

A few minutes later, just after 7 a.m., Bridgette fell out of bed and needed help. Ambulance 27 was dispatched and arrived just a few minutes later.

"They came in the house -- all they had were their walkie-talkies,” said Brittany Boone in an interview Tuesday. “They came into the room (and) she was in an awkward position. She was out of breath and they just let her sit there for a while and gave her some water. Then they lifted her into the bed.”

A spokesperson for D.C. Fire and EMS says the crew then left allegedly without getting a signature from Bridgette on a waiver form.

Brittany says they also never assessed her medical condition.

“All they did was assist her back into bed,” she said.

Brittany says her mother, who had lupus and diabetes, complained about being weak and tired, but didn't want to go to the hospital.

Hours later, Brittany says she woke up next to her mother and knew she was gone.

"They treated the call as if there was no urgency,” said Dione Boone, Bridgette’s step daughter. “They didn't come in the home even with a stair chair or a bag. They came in with their portables. I just feel they didn't treat this call with urgency.”

And now she is despondent.

"I was so far from Brittany and I couldn't get there,” she said. “I felt so bad because she was there by herself.”

The family has hired attorney and former D.C. councilmember Bill Lightfoot, who is now conducting an investigation of his own.

"When a person is sick,” he said, “they don't necessarily have the state of mind to understand when they should or should not go to a hospital. When a person has labored breathing, if they are very tired, they may not understand their full medical condition. That's the job of the medical personnel to keep us safe. If the lady didn't want to go to the hospital, fine, but they have to determine if she fully understands the consequences of not going to the hospital, and that they did not do.”

Bridgette Boone was a social worker who worked closely with the homeless. She will be remembered in a memorial service on Thursday.

The Boone family says the first call for help was a medical call and the firefighter-EMTs should have assessed Bridgette's medical condition no matter what.

A statement from D.C. Fire and EMS says protocol was not properly followed and the call was not documented. They should have gotten a waiver signed by the patient and that is what is now under investigation.

Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices