Jets and Giants reach deal with developer on Meadowlands megamal - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Jets and Giants reach deal with developer on Meadowlands megamall

Posted: Updated:

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- New Jersey's two pro football teams and a developer have settled dueling lawsuits, clearing the way for a long-delayed megamall project at the Meadowlands sports complex.

The New York Giants, New York Jets and developer Triple Five Inc. released a statement Wednesday that confirmed the settlement, but neither side provided specific details.

Originally known as Xanadu and scheduled to open in 2007, the project languished during the economic downturn before Triple Five, whose properties include the Mall of America in Minnesota, took over at the end of 2010.

The immense, pastel-hued structure, once called "the ugliest damn building in New Jersey" by Gov. Chris Christie, has sat unfinished between MetLife Stadium and the New Jersey Turnpike for several years. During last month's Super Bowl it was used as a command center for security operations.

Triple Five's new vision, dubbed American Dream, is planned to include a waterpark and Hollywood-themed amusement park in addition to dining and retail.

The Jets and Giants sued the developer in 2012, claiming Triple Five didn't get their permission -- as required under an earlier agreement -- to expand the footprint for the mall from its original design. They sought to have the mall closed on game days to avoid traffic backups.

Triple Five countersued, accusing the teams of engaging in an illegal campaign to stop the project from being completed.

While details of the settlement remain confidential, a statement from Christie's office appeared to demonstrate that the sides had reached a compromise on a traffic and parking plan.

The settlement provides for a cooperative effort by Triple Five, the teams and various state agencies to implement "a variety of mass transit and traffic improvements that will complement a detailed traffic and parking management plan designed to enhance the experience of all visitors ... particularly on NFL game days," the statement read.

Triple Five spokesman Alan Marcus said construction has been underway at the site since November and that it would pick up once the weather improved. The exterior has been completed but the interior is unfinished.

The developer hasn't said when the project is expected to be completed, though a year ago it was estimated it would take about 24 months once construction restarted.

At least there is hope for those who, like Christie, have expressed displeasure with the exterior: A computer rendering on Triple Five's website shows the outside of the building without the rectangular pastel panels.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Cops: Lacey committeeman punches another official in face at Gille Park

    Cops: Lacey committeeman punches another official in face at Gille Park

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:55 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:55:37 GMT
    Lacey police gave Township Committeeman Mark Dykoff a summons for striking fellow Township Committeeman David Most at a gathering near the pavilion at Gille Park on Sunday, Police Chief David A. Paprota said.Sgt. Paul J. Sullivan and Patrolman Daniel Ricciardella responded to a report of an assault at 1:13 p.m. on Sept. 14 at the park, the chief said.
    Lacey police gave Township Committeeman Mark Dykoff a summons for striking fellow Township Committeeman David Most at a gathering near the pavilion at Gille Park on Sunday, Police Chief David A. Paprota said.Sgt. Paul J. Sullivan and Patrolman Daniel Ricciardella responded to a report of an assault at 1:13 p.m. on Sept. 14 at the park, the chief said.
  • Man charged in quadruple homicide, former Brick resident's murders

    Man charged in quadruple homicide, former Brick resident's murders

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:53 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:53:26 GMT
    The man Florida authorities singled out as a suspect in a quadruple homicide involving three former Brick, N.J. and Lehigh Valley residents now faces four first-degree murder charges. Adam Matos was charged in the deaths of his ex-girlfriend, her parents and her boyfriend, late Monday afternoon.
    The man Florida authorities singled out as a suspect in a quadruple homicide involving three former Brick, N.J. and Lehigh Valley residents now faces four first-degree murder charges. Adam Matos was charged in the deaths of his ex-girlfriend, her parents and her boyfriend, late Monday afternoon.
  • NJSIAA confirms investigation of 'racist' banana incident at high school football game

    NJSIAA confirms investigation of 'racist' banana incident at high school football game

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:10 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:10:03 GMT
    Assistant Superintendent of North Plainfield Schools Dr. Robert Rich confirmed that an incident of alleged racism occurred prior to the high school football game last Friday between Summit and North Plainfield. Rich also confirmed that there are internal and external investigations into the allegations.
    Assistant Superintendent of North Plainfield Schools Dr. Robert Rich confirmed that an incident of alleged racism occurred prior to the high school football game last Friday between Summit and North Plainfield. Rich also confirmed that there are internal and external investigations into the allegations.
Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices