1 burned, 2 injured after gun powder sparks fire in Mesa - Mid-South News, Weather, Traffic and Sports | FOX13

1 burned, 2 injured after gun powder sparks fire in Mesa

Posted: Updated:
MESA, Ariz. -

Two people were hospitalized after an accidental fire destroyed their home early Thursday morning.

Crews from Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler and Tempe responded to a fire near Alma School and Southern just before midnight.

Firefighters say they had to go defensive as soon as they arrived, but were able to put out the blaze within 20 minutes.

An older couple in their 70s live at the home with their adult son, who helps take care of them.

Mesa fire spokesman Forrest Smith says the older man was grinding down a screwdriver in the shop area where gun powder was stored.

While using the grinder, the gunpowder flashed and started a fire in the room he was working in.

The man was burned on his neck and parts of his body.

He was taken to a Maricopa Medical Center where he is said to be in stable condition.

The woman was taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation and lacerations and also is said to be in stable condition.

Smith says the son was able to get his parents out of the home before firefighters arrived.

He was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

According to Smith, the home is a total loss with approximately $180,000 in damage.

Firefighters doused the flames before they spread to any other homes.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices