Detroit teen shocked by wire dies in hospital - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Detroit teen shocked by wire dies in hospital

Posted: Updated:
Emergency crews on the scene the morning of Nov. 18 on Detroit's west side. Emergency crews on the scene the morning of Nov. 18 on Detroit's west side.

DETROIT (WJBK) -- Officials say a Detroit teen electrocuted by a downed power line has died at Mott Children's Hospital in Ann Arbor.

A University of Michigan Health System spokeswoman tells FOX 2 that 14-year-old Malik Shelton died on Saturday. Shelton was taken to Detroit's Sinai-Grace Hospital last Monday and later moved to the University of Michigan's C.S. Mott Children's Hospital.

The teen was hurt when he touched the wire after leaving Burns Elementary in Detroit. Classes were canceled due to a power outage following a severe storm that struck the state.

The boy's friends and the school principal rushed to help him after he was shocked by the wire.

- The Associated Press contributed to this report

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices