Michigan: Detroit schools no longer 'high risk' - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Michigan: Detroit schools no longer 'high risk'

Posted: Updated:
DPS emergency manager Jack Martin as he makes the announcement on Monday DPS emergency manager Jack Martin as he makes the announcement on Monday

DETROIT (AP) - The state of Michigan is easing some financial oversight of Detroit's public schools.

The district has struggled financially for years but its "high-risk status" has been dropped by the state Education Department. The change announced Monday means Detroit schools no longer have to have the state approve its improvement plan.

The district says it also gets more discretion over spending.

Michigan labeled Detroit schools as high risk after the federal government in 2008 raised questions about $53 million in spending. Those issues have been resolved.

State-appointed emergency manager Jack Martin still will run the district. Michigan says it will continue monitoring the district's financial performance.

Detroit has 49,000 students, a drop of about 2 percent over last year but a smaller decrease than previous years.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices