Suspects arrested for terrorizing Coney Island - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Suspects arrested for terrorizing Coney Island over missing cell phone

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT, Mich. (WJBK) -

It all started over a missing cell phone.

Now, two men are in police custody believed to have robbed a Deluxe Coney customer, terrorized employees by waving a weapon in their faces and threatened to "shoot up" the restaurant.

The restaurant's owner says two men came into the restaurant early Thursday morning and demanded to get a cell phone back. Employees told the men they could not get in to the lost and found area to retrieve the phone. The owner says then one of the men pulled out an AK-47 assault rifle and waved it in an employee's face, demanding to see surveillance video.

Eventually the two men agreed they would return later to get the phone, but allegedly told employees if they did not get their phone back by the end of the day they would come back and "shoot up" the place.

The two men began to leave the restaurant but, on the way out, allegedly stole $250 from a customer.

As promised, the two suspects returned to the restaurant later, and now the owner was in the building.

The owner went back to check the surveillance video and, while doing so, called detectives to tell them the two men had returned to his restaurant. Police officers came to the restaurant minutes later and arrested the two suspects.

Officers examined the surveillance video from earlier in the morning, from the suspects' first visit on Thursday, and believe they have the right men in custody. The two suspects did not return with a weapon.

The owner says his employees are shaken up, but he is also very thankful no one was hurt and that police responded so quickly.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Monday, July 28 2014 10:01 AM EDT2014-07-28 14:01:04 GMT
    As of 6 a.m., approximately 165,000 DTE Energy customers are out of electric service due to the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. DTE has restored power to 21,000 customers that were affected by the storm, which included wind gusts of up to 70 m.p.h. in the DTE service area.
    As of 6 a.m., approximately 165,000 DTE Energy customers are out of electric service due to the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. DTE has restored power to 21,000 customers that were affected by the storm, which included wind gusts of up to 70 m.p.h. in the DTE service area.
  • Dollar Tree buys Family Dollar

    Dollar Tree buys Family Dollar

    Monday, July 28 2014 7:34 AM EDT2014-07-28 11:34:12 GMT
    Dollar Tree is buying rival discount store Family Dollar in a cash-and-stock deal valued at about $8.5 billion.
    Dollar Tree is buying rival discount store Family Dollar in a cash-and-stock deal valued at about $8.5 billion.
  • Storm damage in Oakland and Macomb counties

    Storm damage in Oakland and Macomb counties

    Monday, July 28 2014 6:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 10:27:31 GMT
    Damage was reported across Metro Detroit Sunday after severe storms moved across our area. About 200,000 customers lost power in the hail, heavy rain, strong winds, localized flooding and thunder and lightning.
    Damage was reported across Metro Detroit Sunday after severe storms moved across our area. About 200,000 customers lost power in the hail, heavy rain, strong winds, localized flooding and thunder and lightning.
Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices