District: No Money In Lunch Account, No 'Humanitarian Meal' - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

District: No Money In Lunch Account, No 'Humanitarian Meal'

Posted: Updated:
WILLINGBORO, N.J. -

As kids head back to school, parents are once again faced with the choice: do they let their children buy lunch or do they brown-bag it? But a new lunchtime policy in one local school district has some parents furious.

Most parents in Willingboro should have gotten a letter from the school district in the mail today. It talks about a new lunch program. The new lunch program states that if kids, not on the Free and Reduced Lunch program, don't have money to pay for their school lunch, they will go hungry for the day. This is the newest policy for the Willingboro, New Jersey school district.

"I don't think it's fair for the children to go all day without eating," says Rosa Berder, a mom. "That's like wasting food. If the kid already had the lunch, let the parent know instead of taking food from a kid."

Little Carlos Rios loves school lunches.

"Fish sticks, chicken nuggets," he says.

He can't imagine the day he doesn't get to eat it.

"What if they threw it out?" asks FOX 29's Leigh Scheps.

"I would be sad," Carlos replies.

"I am absolutely afraid that could happen to my kids," says another parent.

This mom didn't want us to show her face or reveal her name in fear of retaliation to her children. She tells FOX 29 that she always fills up her children's lunch account, but sometimes she isn't notified when it gets too low.

"I'm aggravated...a child would go hungry and suffer the social embarrassment of having food thrown in the trash because there's no money in the account," she says.

In a letter sent home to parents, the district says that if a student goes through the lunch line and doesn't have enough money to pay for it, the lunch staff is instructed to throw the meal away.

"Don't you think it's a waste of food to just throw it out?" Scheps asked.

"Well, we're hoping it doesn't happen," says Dr. Ronald Taylor, the Superintendent. "It's either all or nothing type of policy, when you have parents not taking advantage of the reduced lunch and taking away dollars for instruction we have to adopt a policy to enforce it."

Superintendent Ronald Taylor explains that the new policy is in place because parents abused the Free and Reduced Lunch program last year.

"Upwards of $50,0000 for students who had not applied for Free and Reduced Lunch who received free lunches," says Dr. Taylor. "Part of the reason we're doing this is to help hold parents accountable."

Taylor says that the district will warn parents when their account is down to five dollars, that's about three days before it's empty.

"We have guidance counselors and outreach personnel that would reach out well before this happened," says Dr. Taylor.

But this mom doesn't think it will solve anything.

"I am considering packing daily lunches," she says.

The superintendent wants parents to apply for the district's Free and Reduced Lunch Program. That way, children won't have their lunch tossed and go hungry. This policy is perfectly legal. It's up to the district's discretion.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Rally Of Solidarity For Israel Held In LOVE Park

    Rally Of Solidarity For Israel Held In LOVE Park

    Thursday, July 24 2014 1:00 AM EDT2014-07-24 05:00:42 GMT
    SkyFOX was live over the scene shortly after 5 p.m. on Wednesday, as big crowd gathered at LOVE Park in Philadelphia after area synagogues put out the call to stand with Israel.
    SkyFOX was live over the scene shortly after 5 p.m. on Wednesday, as big crowd gathered at LOVE Park in Philadelphia after area synagogues put out the call to stand with Israel.
  • Southwest Agent Removes Passenger All Because Of A Tweet

    Southwest Agent Removes Passenger All Because Of A Tweet

    Thursday, July 24 2014 12:47 AM EDT2014-07-24 04:47:14 GMT
    A Minnesota man was forced to get off a Southwest Airlines Flight because of a tweet.Duff Watson says the humiliating ordeal began Sunday July 20th, when he and his two children tried to board a flight from Denver to Minneapolis.Watson says he has priority boarding because he’s an “A-list customer.”But when he went to the gate, the agent wouldn’t allow his two children to board with him.Watson eventually tweeted about the horrible experience.The tweet stated, “Something to the effect of wow, ...
    A Minnesota man was forced to get off a Southwest Airlines Flight because of a tweet.Duff Watson says the humiliating ordeal began Sunday July 20th, when he and his two children tried to board a flight from Denver to Minneapolis.Watson says he has priority boarding because he’s an “A-list customer.”But when he went to the gate, the agent wouldn’t allow his two children to board with him.Watson eventually tweeted about the horrible experience.The tweet stated, “Something to the effect of wow, ...
  • Ocean crash kills teen pilot seeking world record

    Ocean crash kills teen pilot seeking world record

    Thursday, July 24 2014 12:35 AM EDT2014-07-24 04:35:43 GMT
    His pilot's license fresh in his hands, an Indiana teenager set out in June for the adventure of a lifetime: an around-the-world flight with his father designed to break a record and raise money to build schools in his father's native Pakistan.
    His pilot's license fresh in his hands, an Indiana teenager set out in June for the adventure of a lifetime: an around-the-world flight with his father designed to break a record and raise money to build schools in his father's native Pakistan.
Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices