Boston Mayor on Detroit: 'blow up the place & start all over' - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Boston Mayor on Detroit: 'I'd blow up the place and start all over'

Posted: Updated:
Boston Mayor Thomas Menino photo credit: myfoxboston.com Boston Mayor Thomas Menino photo credit: myfoxboston.com
(WJBK) -

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino is apologizing for his comments about blowing up the city of Detroit and starting over again. You can read the mayor's full apology below. Menino made the comments in a recent interview with the New York Times.

Here's an excerpt:

If you could live in any other major U.S. city other than Boston, where would you live?

I never thought of living anyplace else but Boston. Baltimore's a nice little city. Detroit is a place I'd love to go.

What would you do in Detroit?

I'd blow up the place and start all over. No, seriously, when it takes a police officer 90 minutes to answer a call, there's something wrong with the system. Forty percent of the streetlights are out, most of the buildings are boarded up. Why? Inaction, that's the problem - leadership.

You can read the full interview from the New York Times on their website.

Mayor Dave Bing has responded to Mayor Menino's comment:

"It is extremely regrettable that Boston Mayor Thomas Menino used such an unfortunate choice of words to describe what he would do if he came to Detroit. I would think the mayor of a city that recently experienced a deadly bombing attack would be more sensitive and not use the phrase ‘blow up.' I am also dismayed that Mayor Menino did not get his facts right before making his remarks to the widely-read New York Times. The Detroit Police Department's response time is not - and has never been - 90 minutes. And, most of our city's buildings are not boarded up.  Since taking office more than four years ago, there has been tireless action on the part of my administration to improve the quality of life for our citizens.  In fact, I invite Mayor Menino to visit Detroit to see our city for himself."

Fox 2's sister station Fox 25 WFXT in Boston asked Mayor Menino about his comments. Menino tells WFTX:

"Well hey, I made a mistake. I apologize. But the numbers I gave come from their report, not my report. I read their financial report, I stand by the numbers I gave out about, uh, 90 minutes for a call, 40 percent of the streetlights are out, abandoned buildings, that's from their financial, not mine... poor choice of words."

Read Fox 25's full story on Mayor Menino's apology at myfoxboston.com

• Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Jury acquits man in Eastern Michigan football player death

Monday, July 28 2014 8:32 PM EDT2014-07-29 00:32:20 GMT
    A jury has acquitted a man in the robbery-slaying of Eastern Michigan University football player Demarius Reed.

Dearborn man charged with torture, murder of sister

Monday, July 28 2014 8:10 PM EDT2014-07-29 00:10:00 GMT
    A Dearborn woman is dead and her own brother is behind bars charged with her murder.What happened in the 7500 block of Bingham street Saturday, still has neighbors wondering, 'why.'"I wept, I cried, it's horrible," said neighbor Virginia Leonard.A brother allegedly strangled his own sister, stabbed her several times, and eventually killing her"I'm sure it's a very horrible thing for that family," Leonard said. "Not only did the parents lose a daughter, they lost basically a son too, and it's ...

Charges to be determined after teen dies in car crash

Monday, July 28 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-07-28 23:59:07 GMT
    Seven teenagers were on their way back from a bonfire late Friday night. A 16-year-old girl was behind the wheel of the Ford Expedition with her mom also in the car.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps

• FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • What's HotMore>>

New hearing aid technology syncs with your iPhone

Friday, July 25 2014 9:03 PM EDT2014-07-26 01:03:18 GMT
    Ten percent of Americans have some hearing loss but most of the people who could get help from a hearing aid won't wear one because they are embarrassed. But now, new technology may change the way we feel about hearing aids.

The new way to capture your proposal on video

Friday, July 25 2014 7:35 PM EDT2014-07-25 23:35:24 GMT
    It looks like an ordinary ring box, but it's designed with a hidden camera to capture your special moment.

On Your Side: Samsung cell phone fire

Thursday, July 24 2014 10:31 PM EDT2014-07-25 02:31:18 GMT
    A 13-year-old North Texas girl was awoken in the night by a smoldering cell phone on the other side of her pillow, but the cell phone manufacturer says she did something they warn users about.
Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices