A young woman, getting ready for her first day of college, becomes a hero. She noticed an apartment in her complex was on fire, and pulled the alarm, alerting the other residents.
A pretty good story to tell your peers on the first day of school.
Anita Candler thought her cell phone charger was on fire when she noticed it was much bigger than that and ran to save everyone.
"Pull the alarm it's a fire, pull the alarm it's a fire," says Anita.
Anita Candler says she wasted no time letting her neighbors know they were in harm's way. It was around 7:30 when she noticed the smoke.
"I was getting ready for school, today was my first day of college and the outlet was burning, and we came outside. We noticed the apartment right next to us was in flames. It was just huge. We pulled the alarm and we yelled for everyone to get out."
"Coming out of the side, this unit right here, it was all engulfed, you couldn't see nothing but flames," says Caleb Croon, neighbor.
Dozens of residents were displaced after Mesa firefighters evacuated more than half a dozen apartments to fight the fire.
"What we know so far is that this was a room and contents fire. We have an investigator on scene to determine exactly where it started within the unit but we do know that it originated as a room and content," says Mesa Fire Capt. Dean Morales.
Morales said the flames spread quickly to the third floor and raced through the attic. Candler, for one, was glad she noticed what was going on before it was too late.
"We got everyone out though, we really did, that was the safe part."
The good news no one was hurt in the fire, but several people have been displaced as a result.