Boyfriend Held In Kidnapping of 7 Month Old Boy - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Boyfriend Held In Kidnapping of 7 Month Old Boy, Police Fear Baby May Be Dead

Posted: Updated:
Police search the suspects car behind closed doors Police search the suspects car behind closed doors

Thirty-year-old Ummad Rushdi had nothing to say as he was escorted into Upper Darby Police headquarters. He is charged, for now, in the kidnapping and disappearance of seven-month-old Hamza Ali. Police now fear the child may be dead.

"The information we have is that the baby was killed inside 6604 Chestnut," Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood told reporters at a press conference just before noon.

Chitwood says the baby disappeared with Rushdi early Sunday morning from this home on Chestnut Street. Investigators believe Rushdi left the house while the child's mother and relatives were asleep because something terrible happened to the baby.

"Rushdi was in a room by himself with the baby and there was some type of interaction where the baby died, and Rushdi did not want to share with the mother that the baby died," says Chitwood.

Investigators say preliminary information leads them to believe that's the reason Rushdi left the house with the baby.

"That's where we believe the baby was killed and then transported from that location  somewhere up in that York, Columbia, Pennsylvania area where the baby allegedly is buried," Chitwood added.

Detectives say Rushdi spent the next two days telling family members he would return with the child. All the while they believe he was in the York or Columbia area where he lives. He was arrested there Tuesday night after the baby's mother finally contacted police.

"There's phone calls made back and forth. 'The baby's fine, we'll be back in a couple days,'" Chitwood explained after reporters asked why it took two days for the family to report the incident to police.                                                                    

Rushdi, his girlfriend and her baby lived in York, according to investigators. At the home on Chestnut Street, Rushdi's relatives refused to open the door and speak with the media about the baby's disappearance.

"Leave us alone," an unidentified man said from behind closed doors. "I don't care what people want to hear right now. We care about God. That's it."

Detectives and the FBI meanwhile searched Rushdi's car behind closed doors at this police garage.

"Now it's a matter of getting up to that area, hopefully finding a grave site," Chitwood said.

An Amber Alert was issued for the baby and Rushdi around 12:30 this morning. Rushdi was arrested two hours later at his home on Castle Pond Drive in York. He remains in custody, being questioned by police.

Police also say the baby may have been injured by Rushdi prior to this latest report. The baby suffered an injured shoulder, according to Chitwood. Meanwhile the search for this baby's body continues.

"Hopefully finding a grave site," says Chitwood.

Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices