Star of David necklace stolen from Detroiter mowing his grass - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Star of David necklace stolen from Detroiter mowing his grass

Posted: Updated:
Jeff Johnson Jeff Johnson
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Jeff Johnson was mowing his lawn on Euclid in Detroit near Linwood and Dexter. He was wearing a Star of David necklace that was a gift from his wife.

"I got this for him for Hanukkah probably about seven years ago, and he's wore it ever since," Shoshanah Johnson said.

His wife paid $2,500 for the necklace.

"It's a very nice chain, an Italian chain, actually it came straight from Italy. I had it made for my husband. 18 karat gold," she said.

As Jeff was mowing at 4:30 p.m. on a Saturday, video shows two guys walking up. One of them stole his necklace.

"Two gentlemen ran by me and snatched my necklace off my neck while I'm pushing the mower," he said. "They were both wearing baseball caps, and I chased after them in the truck."

"Detroit Police responded about 25 minutes later."

Jeff said the guys split up and ran off in different directions. He lost them.

We first met the Johnson family a month ago. They were trying to find out who owned the vacant and crumbling house next door. Since our story aired, Jeff said he has been contacted by the city and he believes progress is in place to have the house demolished.

Jeff moved his family here from Miami seven months ago in large part to experience what he sees as a rebirth of Detroit.

"Hopefully that man knows what he did was wrong. I'm not trying to accept that, but I have to come up with something in my mind to where I just don't lose all hope, and it's not easy. I've never been robbed in my front yard," he said.

"We're here to stay. Detroit is going to come back. We're going to build up, and we're going to do good," Shoshanah said. "Just like the new police commissioner says, those little punks that do these crimes, they're getting out of here. They're going to be gone. I believe that."

• Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Child, 3, hospitalized after falling from second-story window

Monday, September 1 2014 11:31 PM EDT2014-09-02 03:31:18 GMT
    A 3-year-old child is receiving treatment at St. John hospital after falling from a second-story window in Detroit this weekend.

Boy, 5, thrown from father's dirt bike and run over

Monday, September 1 2014 11:18 PM EDT2014-09-02 03:18:50 GMT
    Residents inside Northport Apartments in Macomb Township say that Sunday afternoon they saw a 27-year-old neighbor riding a dirt bike with his 5-year-old son along busy Garfield Road.Neighbors say they've seen him riding before -- but this time he had his child with him."The first thing that caught my eye was he was riding in his dad's lap," neighbor Tim Hale said. "And they were weaving throughout drainage ditches which are pretty steep." Macomb County sheriffs say the small, orange dirt bik...

Flooding, power outages from latest round of storms

Monday, September 1 2014 10:14 PM EDT2014-09-02 02:14:26 GMT
    More flooding and power outages are being reported after the latest batch of storms.
  • Ron SavageRon SavageMore>>

Traveling Vietnam memorial wall stops in Hamburg

Monday, September 1 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:07:54 GMT
    It was a somber evening Sunday in Hamburg in Livingston County. A large crowd turned out to see the Vietnam traveling memorial wall.

Three sisters mourn murdered father as police search for killer

Saturday, August 30 2014 12:15 AM EDT2014-08-30 04:15:35 GMT
    Starting a new school year is stressful enough, but now Keanya Farrell, 9, her 10-year-old sister Khloee and 18-year-old sister Lexus are all faced with life without their father."I'm heartbroken," Keanya said. "It's like my heart is in a billion pieces."

Two children injured in fall from Ferris wheel at fair

Friday, August 22 2014 11:47 PM EDT2014-08-23 03:47:08 GMT
    Two children were injured when they fell from a ferris wheel at the Chelsea Community Fair.
Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices