NJ girl, 5, calls 911 when mother began choking - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

NJ girl, 5, calls 911 when mother began choking

Posted: Updated:
New Jersey News New Jersey News
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

A quick-thinking 5-year-old New Jersey girl calmly dialed 911 when her mother began choking on a chip.

But she thought it was her father who would be saving the day.

"Daddy, mommy's choking," Chloe Olson told the 911 dispatcher Tuesday in the town of Ridgewood.

After opening the front door at the dispatcher's request, she ended her call with, "Love you, bye."

Chloe's mom, Kerry Olson, had stopped choking by the time rescue units arrived. But police reportedly say Chloe may still receive special recognition for her impressive actions.

Her parents say police and fire officials also deserve credit -- for introducing students to a catchy jingle telling them, "Don't be scared, pick up the phone and dial 911."

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Deadly crash in Lincoln Tunnel

    Deadly crash in Lincoln Tunnel

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:15 PM EDT2014-09-03 00:15:54 GMT

    Officials say a New Jersey man has died from injuries he suffered in a chain-reaction crash inside one of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel.  Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police spokesman Joe Pentangelo says the 49-year-old Summit resident was among three people hurt in the accident.


    Officials say a New Jersey man has died from injuries he suffered in a chain-reaction crash inside one of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel.  Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police spokesman Joe Pentangelo says the 49-year-old Summit resident was among three people hurt in the accident.



  • $1M Powerball ticket sold in NJ set to expire

    $1M Powerball ticket sold in NJ set to expire

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 2:23 PM EDT2014-09-02 18:23:45 GMT
    State lottery officials say a Powerball ticket worth $1 million that was sold at a northern New Jersey convenience store last year will soon expire.
    State lottery officials say a Powerball ticket worth $1 million that was sold at a northern New Jersey convenience store last year will soon expire.
  • Princeton worker told to choose medical pot or job

    Princeton worker told to choose medical pot or job

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 2:19 PM EDT2014-09-02 18:19:48 GMT
    A Princeton University employee says he has been told to choose between medical marijuana and his job.
    A Princeton University employee says he has been told to choose between medical marijuana and his job.
Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices