Thirty residents at Linden Camelia Towers in the midtown Memphis medical district were evacuated Thursday morning after a fire was reported inside the high rise.
Firefighters responded just after 7:15 a.m. and extinguished a stove fire on the seventh floor of the high rise within a half hour.
Two people, a 69-year-old male and a 51-year-old female, were taken to Methodist University Hospital for smoke inhalation, the fire department said.
There were no other reported injuries to the apartment residents or firefighters.
"This is a high rise building and anytime we have a fire in a high rise structure our normal protocol is a second alarm fire with about 25 to 30 fire vehicles on the scene including support personal," said Memphis Fire Battalion Chief Keith Staples.
It has been determined that the apartment complex did not have a sprinkler system and the seventh-floor unit sustained smoke, fire, and water damage of around $5,000. The origin and cause of the fire was determined to be food left unattended on the stove in the kitchen area.
Initially 101 emergency response personnel and firefighters responded to the multi-story structure because most of the residents who call the Linden Towers home are elderly.
Among the fire crew who responded were firefighters from Station No. 6, which is slated to close Aug. 1 due to city of Memphis budget cuts.
City budget cuts force closure of MFD Station No. 6
FOX13 News Good Morning Memphis reporter Scott Madaus contributed to this report.
WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
Didn't find what you were looking for?