Appeals court rules Mike Duggan off Detroit election ballot - Mid-South News, Weather, Traffic and Sports | FOX13

Appeals court rules: Mike Duggan to stay off Detroit mayoral ballot

Posted: Updated:
Mike Duggan Mike Duggan
DETROIT (WJBK) -

The Michigan Court of Appeals has ruled Mike Duggan's name will stay off the primary ballot for Detroit mayor.

Duggan's name was removed last week when a judge ruled he violated the Detroit City Charter's residency requirement by filing before he had lived in the city for a year. The judge said that made him ineligible to run.

Tuesday's ruling upholds the judge's decision. So far, there is no word if Duggan will appeal to the state Supreme Court.

This is a victory for mayoral candidate Tom Barrow, who challenged Duggan's residency, but Barrow has also asked the state Supreme Court to weigh in.

At a news conference Tuesday evening, Barrow said, "The court's decision this afternoon is the best solution for the people of the City of Detroit. In upholding the Detroit City Charter, the court restored Detroiters' faith in the objective rule of law and in treating all the citizens the same regardless of their wealth and position. Notwithstanding, I am not one who is rejoicing over Mr. Duggan's loss as I believe he has suffered enough, and I, for one, understand the deep disappointment he has been forced to publicly endure these last few weeks."

He continued, "An incredible amount of money was expended by all sides during this legal battle, all of which was completely unnecessary and should have been avoided had the Detroit city clerk, Janice Winfrey, upheld her oath of office and not favored one officer seeker over others, who were not allowed onto the ballot based on the same charter provision violation."

"In the best interest of all the residents of the City of Detroit, Ms. Winfrey must immediately resign and take responsibility for this debacle in the wake of this devastating decision against her judgment and performance as city clerk and chief election officer."

Check out the videos for more from Tom Barrow's news conference and former Oakland County Republican Party Chairman Paul Welday.

"We've been fighting every step of the way, and we fought the first ruling," Duggan said. "The 4,500 people that are out there have been working hard. I've been trying my best."

"We got a bad ruling. We've been very clear and upfront about our arguments. The way that we interpreted the deadline was that it's the filing deadline," said Bryan Barnhill, Duggan's campaign manager.

Meanwhile, Mark Brewer, an attorney and former chair of the Michigan Democratic Party, said the ruling is not a surprise.

"These judges look at the text of the law. They're not interested in intent. They're not interested in what the drafters thought. The language is what it is," he said. "There are a lot of options here. He can appeal. Even if he doesn't win, there's a possibility of a write-in."

"Write-in candidacy in Michigan is very, very difficult, so I don't see a write-in as a practical option," Duggan said.

Duggan has said he will hold a news conference at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday to announce what he will do next.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Van Dyke Construction Scheduled Today

    Van Dyke Construction Scheduled Today

    Monday, April 21 2014 3:48 AM EDT2014-04-21 07:48:59 GMT
    A massive construction project is underway in Macomb County. If you travel on Van Dyke, you know how rough it is. Now, jackhammers are out there tearing up a two-and-a half mile stretch from 11 Mile to Chicago Rd. The road will be milled, then resurfaced with asphalt. New curbs will be installed. Nine intersections get new traffic signals. Sidewalks will be ramped to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Weather permitting, the project will be finished this summer.
    A massive construction project is underway in Macomb County. If you travel on Van Dyke, you know how rough it is. Now, jackhammers are out there tearing up a two-and-a half mile stretch from 11 Mile to Chicago Rd. The road will be milled, then resurfaced with asphalt. New curbs will be installed. Nine intersections get new traffic signals. Sidewalks will be ramped to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Weather permitting, the project will be finished this summer.
  • Chrysler Expanding Presence in China

    Chrysler Expanding Presence in China

    Monday, April 21 2014 3:32 AM EDT2014-04-21 07:32:50 GMT
    Fiat and Chrysler announced plans this weekend to build three new Jeep models in China for that market, the biggest for the vehicles outside the United States, as they attempt to boost sales in a country where they lag behind their competitors. The automakers said they will expand their joint venture with China's Guangzhou Automobile Group Co. Ltd., and increase the portfolio of Jeeps, which are currently imported to China. Production is expected to start in late 2015.
    Fiat and Chrysler announced plans this weekend to build three new Jeep models in China for that market, the biggest for the vehicles outside the United States, as they attempt to boost sales in a country where they lag behind their competitors. The automakers said they will expand their joint venture with China's Guangzhou Automobile Group Co. Ltd., and increase the portfolio of Jeeps, which are currently imported to China. Production is expected to start in late 2015.
  • Ford at the Beijing Auto Show

    Ford at the Beijing Auto Show

    Monday, April 21 2014 3:27 AM EDT2014-04-21 07:27:48 GMT
    Ford Motor Co. on Sunday unveiled a new Escort sedan designed in China for global sale at a Beijing auto show that highlighted the growing influence of Chinese tastes on the industry. Automakers are looking to China's biggest auto show this year to help boost sales in this huge but cooling market. Total sales last year reached 17.9 million vehicles, but growth is expected to slow from 15.7 percent to as low as 8 percent, even as newcomers including Lincoln and Tesla enter the market.
    Ford Motor Co. on Sunday unveiled a new Escort sedan designed in China for global sale at a Beijing auto show that highlighted the growing influence of Chinese tastes on the industry. Automakers are looking to China's biggest auto show this year to help boost sales in this huge but cooling market. Total sales last year reached 17.9 million vehicles, but growth is expected to slow from 15.7 percent to as low as 8 percent, even as newcomers including Lincoln and Tesla enter the market.
Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices