Barber kicked out of Conn. park granted reprieve - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Barber kicked out of Conn. park granted reprieve

Posted: Updated:
(File) (File)

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - The mayor of Hartford, Conn., is allowing a barber to continue giving haircuts in a city park despite orders for him to leave from police and health officials.

A spokeswoman for Mayor Pedro Segarra says he is granting Anthony "Joe the Barber" Cymerys a special dispensation in light of his years of charitable work. The spokeswoman, Maribel La Luz, said Thursday the city will help Cymerys obtain a state barber's license if he likes.

The 82-year-old Cymerys has been giving free haircuts to the homeless in exchange for hugs for 25 years at Bushnell Park. He says officials confronted him this week and ordered him to leave because he did not have a permit.

City officials say residents had expressed concerns about sanitation.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Connecticut NewsConnecticut NewsMore>>

  • Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Monday, September 15 2014 8:39 PM EDT2014-09-16 00:39:39 GMT
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a Bridgeport train crash last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a train crash in Connecticut last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
  • Feds inspect pump at Millstone nuclear complex

    Feds inspect pump at Millstone nuclear complex

    Monday, September 15 2014 2:30 PM EDT2014-09-15 18:30:43 GMT
    Federal inspectors are at the Millstone nuclear power complex in Waterford to examine a critical backup water pump that failed routine tests in July and last week.
    Federal inspectors are at the Millstone nuclear power complex in Waterford to examine a critical backup water pump that failed routine tests in July and last week.
  • Death row inmate seeks kosher diet

    Death row inmate seeks kosher diet

    One of two men convicted in the killings of a mother and her two daughters in a 2007 Connecticut home invasion is suing Connecticut, claiming his rights are violated because he's being denied kosher food in...
    One of two men convicted in the killings of a mother and her two daughters in a 2007 Connecticut home invasion is suing the state, claiming his rights are violated because he's being denied kosher food in prison.
Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices