Overnight fire sends two to the hospital - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Overnight fire sends two to the hospital

Posted: Updated:
SOUTH MEMPHIS, Tenn. (FOX13) -

A mother and her child were burned in a South Memphis house fire Friday morning.

Fire crews received the call that a house was on fire on the 800 block of Cavalier Drive around 3 a.m.  A mother and her two sons were inside the home at the time. 

A 7-year-old boy was taken to LeBonheur Children's Hospital with second degree burns on his hand.  His mother was taken to The MED to be treated for smoke inhalation.

"They were minor injuries from what we understand but as soon as we can, we're going to get to the hospital to see about it," said Marvin Hill, who owns the home.

Hill owns the house.  He says Misty Smalls, a single mother, rents it with her two sons.

Lieutenant Wayne Cooke with the Memphis Fire Department says the house has no working utilities and a candle was found in one of the back bedrooms.

Hill says he is just glad things were not worse.  "Could have been much, much worse. Her 7-year-old son had minor burns, she had minor burns. Other than that, it's alright," said Hill.

Investigators believe the fire may have started near the front of the house.  Right now, they say it was an accident and it is not clear whether any charges will be filed.

Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices