Family: Suspected kidnapper had deal with baby's mother - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Family: Suspected kidnapper had deal with baby's mother

Posted: Updated:
MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) -

The family of a woman jailed and awaiting charges after an AMBER Alert was issued for an 8-month-old boy taken from his home on Wednesday is coming to her defense, saying the abduction was a deal between two mothers.

Isabel Diaz-Castillo is currently being held in the Hennepin County Jail, and charges are expected to be filed later Thursday afternoon or early Friday morning.

"I don't know if something is wrong with my sister," Israel Diaz told FOX 9 News.

Diaz said he was not home on Wednesday afternoon when his sister came to his house with a baby no one in the family had seen before.

"My wife called and said, 'Hey, something is wrong,'" he recalled.

His wife told him that Diaz-Castillo brought a baby to the home, and that police were there 20 minutes later. That's because the baby was 8-month-old Carlos Orozco, who had been missing for several hours and was the focus of a statewide AMBER Alert.

The boy's mother, Victoria Orozco, told FOX 9 News that she had put her son down for a nap in his car seat and took a shower. When she returned, Carlos was gone and she quickly pointed police toward a woman she had met at a Laundromat a month ago.

"I have only seen her twice, and yesterday was the third time," Orozco said. "She came to my house. I've never really met or sat down and talked with her."

Yet, Israel Diaz told FOX 9 News it was no kidnapping. Instead, he said his sister's roommate and the two mothers made a deal.

"My sister paid $5,000 for the kid -- for Victoria's son -- because my sister said she is going to care for the kid for a month," he said. "After a month, she would take the kid back."

Orozco calls it crazy, saying no deal ever existed -- and Diaz could not explain why his sister would make such a deal anyway. He also did not know if it had anything to do with his sister's immigration status, as she is an undocumented worker.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has placed an immigration hold on Diaz-Castillo, who has two sons of her own, ages 9 and 12. Family members say they are currently making arrangements for the boys to live with their aunts and uncles.

Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices