4 people escape house fire in Berclair - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

4 people escape house fire in Berclair

Posted: Updated:
EAST MEMPHIS, Tenn. (FOX13) -

While many of you were sleeping several others were being rescued from a burning house and it wasn't firefighters who saved them. 

A couple of alert grandsons are being called heroes after they rescued their 91-year-old grandmother from an early morning fire in the 4900 block of Biscoe in the Berclair neighborhood of Memphis.

Pauline Moore was asleep in a front bedroom when her grandson came in about 2 a.m. and told her it was time to get out because there was a fire. She thought her grandsons were kidding. They were not.

"My grandson came in there in my bedroom and said, 'Get up grandmother! The house is a fire,'" she said. "And I ... he's one to tell so many jokes and tales you don't know what to believe and I didn't pay him any attention. He said get up the house is afire!"

There was about $90,000 in damages but all four people inside the home were able to make it out safely.

Pauline is not one to take no for an answer and she indeed grabbed a robe before being carried out of the burning home.

"Him and the other one my other grandsons was there so they carried me out in the yard," she said.

Investigators say bad wiring off the carport extensively damaged an the East Memphis home where the boys and their grandmother were staying. There was no working smoke detector in the home.  

Pauline will be staying with her sister a few blocks away while her grandsons try to save as much of her belongings as they can from the house she has called home for more than 20 years.

"The Lord just blessing me. He had a hold of me or I might not have made it."

The fire department urges all citizens to maintain a working smoke detector in their place of residence. Any city of Memphis resident can apply for a free smoke detector by contacting the Fire Museum of Memphis at 901-636-5650. The fire department also encourages you and your family to always have a plan of escape in case there is a fire.

-------

FOX13 News reporter Earle Farrell contributed to this report.

Find Scott Madaus on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Madaus-FOX13-Memphis/136492469845914?ref=hl


Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices