A fire Wednesday morning destroyed a cabinet factor in midtown Memphis that has been in business since 1978.
The heat of the fire collapsed the roof and partially collapsed wall on the western side of S & S Custom Cabinets, located at 1249 Heistan Place. The business is located near South Bellevue Road, a block from the Memphis Food Bank.
Heavy flames and thick smoke poured into the skyline after the fire was reported just after 8 a.m. Wednesday.
"We arrived on the scene there was heavy smoke coming from the roof of the structure," said Memphis Fire Lt. Wayne Cook. "We initially make an interior attack of the structure. There was a collapse at the center of the structure."
The owner of the business told FOX13 News that around 8 a.m., he walked into the factory, turned on a light and saw a flash. Immediately the whole room flashed orange.
Though there were no reported injuries, four cats inside the factory were rescued.
It has been determined that the commercial structure did not have a sprinkler system, Lt. Cook said. The structure sustained smoke, fire and water damage. Total damage is estimated at $160,000 building and $70,000 contents. The origin and cause of the fire was determined to be faulty electrical wiring in the rear of the structure.
FOX13 News reporter Earle Farrell contributed to this report.
WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
Didn't find what you were looking for?