Wing shortage... or chicken caper? - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Wing shortage... or chicken caper?

Posted: Updated:
ROYAL OAK, Mich. (WJBK) -

Remember the supposed bacon shortage that had everyone stocking up?  The same panic is hitting the hen house, but a popular grocery store isn't going to end up with egg on their face.  They've got chicken for sale.

"Happen to catch a reason why there's a wing shortage?" I asked one man.

"I believe it was due to the chicken feed and the price of chickens themselves raising," he said.

But Holiday Market says they have an abundance of wings uncooked and precooked, thus confirming my suspicions that something foul is a foot ruffling our feathers.

"Is it more expensive than it was last month or two months ago?" I asked a worker.

"No.  About the same price," she said.

"I did hear about some gentleman that broke into a chicken facility and stole like a U-Haul truck of chicken wings, which I thought was really over the top," a customer told me.

"Just a way to sell more chicken wings, isn't it?" another customer said.

Or could this be a nefarious plot to get everyone hooked on ribs or Cajun bacon or even lasagna?

Chick-fil-A has that ad campaign that shows cows saying eat more chicken.  Maybe something's going on here that's the exact opposite of that.

"Maybe, I don't know," a customer remarked.

"What are you going to serve for the Super Bowl?" I asked one woman.

"Nothing because I'm not celebrating it.  I don't like football," she said.

Ribs or chicken, a dollar doesn't buy as much as it used to.

"That's one reason why I hunt, man, venison's cheaper," I was told.

• Jason CarrJason CarrMore>>

Detroit's smallest deli is big in character

Wednesday, July 16 2014 6:13 PM EDT2014-07-16 22:13:00 GMT
    At 212 E. Grand River stands a storefront that is no more than 10 feet wide, but what it lacks in size it makes up for with its sandwiches.

Tiger Stadium site redevelopment plans move ahead

Tuesday, July 15 2014 8:23 PM EDT2014-07-16 00:23:08 GMT
    Right now the baseball diamond at the old Tiger Stadium is being used by little leaguers and even some vintage baseball teams. But that could change, even before this season is over.

Thomas Video and DVD store in Royal Oak soon to close

Tuesday, July 8 2014 9:28 PM EDT2014-07-09 01:28:02 GMT
    This is the kind of place film director Quentin Tarantino might have worked had he grown up in metro Detroit.  He did visit the Thomas Video and DVD store in Royal Oak once.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Jury acquits man in Eastern Michigan football player death

Monday, July 28 2014 8:32 PM EDT2014-07-29 00:32:20 GMT
    A jury has acquitted a man in the robbery-slaying of Eastern Michigan University football player Demarius Reed.

Dearborn man charged with torture, murder of sister

Monday, July 28 2014 8:10 PM EDT2014-07-29 00:10:00 GMT
    A Dearborn woman is dead and her own brother is behind bars charged with her murder.What happened in the 7500 block of Bingham street Saturday, still has neighbors wondering, 'why.'"I wept, I cried, it's horrible," said neighbor Virginia Leonard.A brother allegedly strangled his own sister, stabbed her several times, and eventually killing her"I'm sure it's a very horrible thing for that family," Leonard said. "Not only did the parents lose a daughter, they lost basically a son too, and it's ...

Charges to be determined after teen dies in car crash

Monday, July 28 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-07-28 23:59:07 GMT
    Seven teenagers were on their way back from a bonfire late Friday night. A 16-year-old girl was behind the wheel of the Ford Expedition with her mom also in the car.
Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices