Trash pick-up will resume but strike continues - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Trash pick-up will resume but strike continues

Posted: Updated:
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (FOX13) -

Picketing sanitation workers are on high alert and it has nothing to do with an impending deal, but a shot was fired near where Republic sanitation workers have been protesting.

Because of that, city of Memphis sanitation workers are wary of crossing the picket line.

MORE: Sanitation strike may leave big mess following storm
MORE: Sanitation workers strike at Allied Waste


Trash pick up with resume Wednesday and Public Works Director Dwan Gilliom says Memphis sanitation workers are safe to continue work as usual. He's also optimistic that there is a end to the strike in sight.

"Place carts on the curb, leave the carts there until the carts are serviced," Gilliom said. "Obvious we're being told by Republic Service officers that their crews will be out in routs (Wednesday)."

But in the mean time they want those who received their trash pick up services from Republic to know help is on the way.

An estimated 250,000 customers of Republic Services in Shelby County and north Mississippi have been without trash pick up since Monday due to a worker strike with Allied Waste.

"They violate work rules, they violate contracts, they don't care out their workers," said Shaka Khalphni.

"We are not getting paid very well at all," Joseph Wyatt added.

The strike began in earnest on Monday. Since then no trash has been picked up.

Starting Wednesday morning Republic Blue crews will be out to service those still waiting for trash pick up. The crews will work through the weekend if they have to collect all the trash.

In the meantime a protest is taking place at the North Shelby landfill. The city's AFSCME Local 1733 employees have concerns about crossing the picket line to dump their garbage after a Republic worker fired a gunshot early Tuesday.

"We do have management personnel stationed at the two landfills and anytime we have a AFSCME employee who refuses to cross the picket line by taking their truck inside the landfill to dump," Gilliom said. "They are more than willing to get out of the truck. Give that truck to a member of management to go inside, dump the truck bring the truck back out give it to the employee to go about their business."
 
Gilliom added the Memphis employees who refuse to cross the line will not face disciplinary action.

"I've instructed management all along not to make any demands on employees to do anything that is against their will," he said.
    
AFSCME Local 1733 employees will continue their routes as usual, Gilliom said, who remains optimistic that the strike will end within the next week or so.

Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices