Six children burned in McKinney backyard fire - Mid-South News, Weather, Traffic and Sports | FOX13

Six children burned in McKinney backyard fire

Posted: Updated:
McKINNEY, Texas -

Six children were burned when a gas can exploded next to an outdoor fire pit at a McKinney home, fire officials said Monday.

Four of the children were taken by air ambulance to Parkland Hospital's burn unit in Dallas. The other two are at local hospitals.

The ages of the victims range from 4 to 11, according to Stacy Durham of the McKinney Fire Department. At least one child, a 5-year-old girl, has burns over 30 percent of her body.

The explosion happened in the 800 block of Center Street about 1:40 p.m.

Durham said one of the children poured gas on the fire, then left the can too close to the flames. The can -- or its fumes -- sparked the explosion, she said.

Neighbors tell FOX 4 that four of the victims are siblings, and the other two are relatives. It's not clear how many children were in the house and yard at the time.

Records show a lawn care business is registered to the home's address. Multiple lawn care tools were seen in the front and side yards.

It's not clear if any adults were nearby when the accident happened. Police are investigating to see if any charges will be filed.

Stay with FOX 4 News and myfoxdfw.com for the latest information as it becomes available.

Powered by WorldNow

WHBQ-TV | Fox 13
485 S. Highland St.
Memphis, TN 38111

Main Station: (901) 320-1313
Newsroom: (901) 320-1340

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices