Memphis Police Director Toney Armstrong confirms to FOX13 News that Officer Terrence Shaw, who was back on the job after he killed a teenager in September, is no longer on active duty with the force and back on paid leave.
Director Armstrong declined to explain why the sudden change took place in Officer Shaw's status.
MORE: Mayor questions why MPD officer back on job
MORE: MPD officer back on job after deadly shooting
Officer Shaw had been assigned to desk duty at the Real Time Crime Center.
"Terrance Shaw was originally returned to work on a non-enforcement status," the police director said during a Thursday evening town hall meeting. "He was assigned to the Real Time Crime Center, with no enforcement duties. But since then he has been, he still remains on non-enforcement, but he is not working at this time."
Officer Shaw had been off-duty for nearly 2.5 months after he allegedly shot and killed Justin Thompson Sept. 24 during an attempted robbery while he was off shift. Shaw claimed Justin was robbing him, and he was defending himself.
The Shelby County District Attorney's Office said the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is still investigating the September shooting.
In an interoffice memo, Chief Administrative Officer George Little said to Mayor A C Wharton he hopes "that TBI will wrap their work up soon and provide the results to District Attorney General (Amy) Weirich."
Since the killing, questions surfaced about why Shaw was in that neighborhood to begin with, and why did he pull his weapon.
Director Armstrong also mentioned this latest development with Officer Shaw has nothing to do with the Sept. 24 shooting.
The 28-year-old Shaw is a six-year veteran of the city's police force and has been cleared in three previous officer-involved shootings.
He has not been charged connected to the Sept. 24 shooting.