FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.
WHBQ TV/FOX 13, MEMPHIS, TN
August 13, 2014
The following represent brief/broad descriptions. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, to represent a comprehensive and/or exclusive description of all duties/responsibilities and requites skills associated with each position.
General Sales Manager
The General Sales Manager's essential duties and responsibilities include the supervision of National and Local Sales, Sports Sales, Business Development, Digital Sales, and Traffic. This includes hiring, evaluation and direction of the managers of these departments. Also included are the administrative responsibilities involved in the hiring, training, evaluation, and discipline of the personnel under these managers. The GSM is expected to conduct all business with the highest of professional ethics and to follow company policy and maintain compliance with all regulatory requirements at all times.
The GSM is responsible for analyzing National and Local economic conditions to forecast the short and long term station revenue and share goals. Work with the Sales Managers to develop motivational methods of achieving those revenue goals. Establish the rate structure for the station to achieve the revenue goals as forecast. Responsible for pricing and inventory control by maintaining a constant evaluation of all economic factors pertaining to the competition and to market conditions.
Budget and forecast operational and expense budgets for all sub-departments and along with revenue budgeting and forecasts, maintained on a monthly and annual basis. Maintain contact between the Sales Department, corporate offices and our National rep.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university is preferred. A minimum of 5 years combined experience as either a General, Local, and/or National Sales Manager in a medium to large market is required. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, and commissions. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Must be proficient in the use of business software programs including Excel and Outlook.
Must be very knowledgeable in the basic and advanced techniques of selling television and in sales negotiation. Computer knowledge and broad experience is required, especially in use of excel spreadsheets. Good understanding of television programming, production, and research. Some general knowledge of technical aspects of television. General business experience and knowledge of related advertising businesses.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Considerable amount of time spent traveling to sales rep offices around the country. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Digital Sales Manager
The Digital Sales Manager's responsibility is to identify and drive digital strategies in order to attain revenue and share goals through development of overall direction, product and service launches and training. The DSM reports to the General Sales Manager and will strategize and work collaboratively with the sales management, and the entire sales organization to successfully execute the digital and business development needs of the station. The ideal candidate will possess exceptional leadership, communication and project management skills. The primary objective is to meet or exceed digital revenue and share goals (monthly, quarterly, annually) through a team-based, consultative approach to sales.
The DSM is accountable for development, focus, and momentum of digital sales efforts and revenue generation. The position is responsible for all facets of digital product development, deployment and sales execution of new initiatives including pricing, inventory, ad delivery, online billing and digital metrics to measure effectiveness. The DSM works in partnership with sales to identify clients' digital marketing needs and integrate them into sales solutions. Solutions are multi-platform in nature, integrating the traditional television platform along with non-traditional, digital assets and new media platforms. Digital assets include myfoxmemphis.com core products including display advertising, streaming across all devices, desktop, mobile and tablets plus Search and Social Media.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Attain digital revenue goals, monthly, quarterly and annually and grow CMG Memphis market share
• Be the internal expert and resource for all things related to digital media
• Influences, trains and motivates the development of the sales staff on growing our digital revenue and business development streams and introducing new products during sales meetings
• Conducts individual coaching sessions and performs mid-year and annual reviews for all AE's and direct reports
• Accurately forecasts digital revenue for the station and the Memphis market in order to identify key strategies for increasing market share and product usage
• Conducts weekly, monthly and quarterly sales reporting as needed
• Sets monthly, quarterly and annual goals for the team and individual AE's. Tracks performance and determines accountability measures.
• Responsible for focus and momentum of digital media strategies, product mixes, sales efforts and revenue generation, working with sales managers, AE's, Marketing, Research, News, Creative Services on ways to continually increase revenue and market share
• Works closely with other Sales Managers and Department heads to integrate online sales options for our multi-platform client offerings
• Coordinate sales efforts, develop multi-product marketing solutions and communicate changes in direction, products, expectations, processes and standards as they pertain to digital media
• Drives sales, pricing, packaging and launch of new digital products
• Responsible for inventory management control
• Responsible for pricing strategy and presentation development
• Partner with Research and Marketing to ensure that all Digital Media information is current and accurate
• Analyze market trends and competitive initiatives
• Continually tracts digital media metrics to ensure growth and the utilization of the full product set
• Conducts continuous research on the latest industry trends, preliminary tests and consumer behavior analysis in order to develop new ideas for the Memphis market in order to generate further revenue
• Develops strong relations with internal department heads and external customers including key relationships at local and national agencies as well as direct clients
• Develops Digital Media sales materials to market appropriate services and opportunities to buyers of advertising at local, regional and national accounts for both Direct and Agency business
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to prioritize and work in a results oriented, rapidly changing, dynamic and fast-paced environment that requires collaboration across multiple stakeholders and constituents
• Proven track record of strong management and leadership ability
• Demonstrated history of success in a goal-oriented, highly accountable environment
• Must have strong interpersonal and relationship building skills with the ability to create solid business relationships and develop a sense of team with the AE's and managers
• Must be able to establish strong relationships within multiple departments and across the group
• Extensive knowledge of digital sales processes, digital platforms, technical markets, pricing models, channels of distribution, technology trends, customer buying patterns and budgeting
• Must have knowledge in local media advertising, competitive strategies, product marketing, product management and team management
• Action-oriented, effective communicator with strong leadership and development skills
• Confident personality and strong sense of urgency
• Able to think strategically, act tactically and effectively manage multiple projects
• Must be analytical, detail-oriented and possess strong project management, organizational, problem solving and time management skills
• Must be a creative and innovative thinker
• Must be highly proficient in Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
5+ years of sales management experience preferred. Proven track record of building, developing and training strong digital sales teams
Strong problem solving and communication skills. Bachelor's degree (B.A) from four-year college or university in marketing, advertising, sales and/or broadcasting; and 2-3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must have or be willing to obtain a driver's license. Must have good working knowledge of broadcast television industry, internet and mobile media platforms, terminology, and analytics.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions (driving to and from clients/agencies). Hours are irregular and often exceed a 40-hour week (preparation, travel and entertainment), based on business demand. Hours may include evenings and weekends.
Responsible for management of all engineering functions including security, RF operations, all broadcast and digital distribution systems, equipment and building maintenance, towers operations, engineering personnel management, budgets including capital planning and operations/maintenance, and vehicles. Develop and implement current and long-range technical operation plans with an emphasis on emerging technology and competitive ENG. Manage and assist in negotiation of station purchases. Ensure that all projects are properly implemented and executed. Responsible for station compliance with FCC, OSHA and FAA regulations as well as all company policies and procedures. Establish procedures and standards for operation and maintenance of equipment and proper studio operations. Oversee the management personnel. Develop and implement systems for technical redundancy.
Extensive knowledge of all broadcast systems and knowledge of government regulations and industry standards required ensuring the station's technical compliance. Bachelor's Degree in electronics/electrical engineering plus a minimum of five years broadcast engineering management experience. SBE certification is preferred. Significant technical expertise in the planning, implementation and maintenance of television station facilities, including RF facilities and IT. Requires a strong leader with an ability to direct and motivate technical staff. Varied and extended hours may include some weekends, holidays, and required travel. Proficiency with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint software. Excellent written/verbal communication skills required. Must be able to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment with excellent attention to detail, accuracy and strong organizational skills. Other duties as directed.
Obtain information essential to news broadcasts to research and generate news story ideas, cultivate contacts, sources, and relationships. Work with managers and staff in news gathering. Dispatch and monitor crews, monitor for breaking news. Assist producers in development of newscasts and other duties as assigned. TV news experience as an associate producer or assignment editor is preferred. Must have computer skills and the ability to operate scanners and two way radios. Good communication skills a must. College degree in communications or related filed is preferred.
General Assignment Reporter
Must have the skills and experience necessary to make independent editorial decisions in the field. Candidate must also create, prepare and publish online content as assigned. Must communicate clearly and deal effectively and politely with the public in person and over the phone. Must be an outstanding storyteller and on-air performer. Must have a winning attitude, and the drive to produce more quality content than any other reporter in our Newsroom. Must be willing and able to find new and innovative ways to present stories. Must be able to develop contacts and sources. Other related duties as assigned.
A college degree and a minimum of two years of journalism background and television reporting experience required. Multi-media journalist experience preferred. Ability to shoot and edit own stories is a plus. Must possess strong social media skills. Knowledge of fair and accurate journalism practices. Must have or be willing to obtain a driver's license.
Install and maintain television broadcast equipment. Troubleshoot to component level. Operate automated Master Control system on occasion. Support broadcast operations. Maintain physical plant. On call duty required in rotation with other Engineers for studio equipment and exclusively for transmitter equipment. Serve as Alternate Chief Operator for FCC compliance purposes and other duties as assigned. Requires solid foundation in electronic, with particular skill in troubleshooting circuits. Requires knowledge of high-power RF transmitting systems and experience maintaining transmitters. Should be familiar with FCC rules and ATSC specifications. Must meet physical requirements traditionally required by this position (some overhead lifting is required).
(Regular Full Time): Utilize Grass Valley Kalypso switcher to direct live newscasts, newsbreaks, programs and specials. Prepare show rundowns in I-News to coordinate all shots and cues. Lead camera crews, audio operator, and floor direct as needed. Other related duties as assigned.
A minimum of two years' experience directing and/or technical directing on-air for live news programming preferred. Experience with a Grass Valley Kalypso switcher is required. Experience using I-News preferred. Ability to operate a broad range of production equipment, including character generators, audio consoles and master control equipment is desired. Lighting design experience is also a plus. Must be a leader who is pro-active, creative, takes initiative, reacts quickly, projects a positive attitude, and keeps their composure during stressful situations. College degree preferred. Must have or be willing to obtain a driver's license.
Jr. Account Executive
Responsible for generating revenue from new and existing accounts through effective selling techniques. The Account Executive will coordinate and maintain all sales related activities for assigned accounts, and prepare and conduct presentations for the development of digital and new business. Additionally, the AE is responsible for maintaining knowledge of the market's ratings and programming to effectively interact with the buying community as well as other related duties as assigned.
Qualified candidate should have a minimum of one – two years of media sales experience. College degree preferred. Television sales experience is preferred.
Solid knowledge of the market and advertising community, and a proven record of sales accomplishments are essential. Candidate must possess a strong desire to win. Written and automation software and a college degree are strongly preferred. Must have or be willing to obtain a valid driver's license.
Produce fast-paced, informative newscasts that stand out in a very competitive market. Obtain information essential to news broadcasts to research and generate news story ideas, cultivate contacts, sources, and relationships. Work with managers and staff in news gathering. Dispatch and monitor crews, monitor for breaking news, and other duties as assigned.
Two years' experience producing newscasts is required. Must have computer skills and the ability to operate scanners and two way radios. Good communication skills a must. College degree in communications or related field is preferred.
For consideration, applicants should forward resume and non-returnable reel (if applicable) to:
FOX TELEVISON STATION | HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT | 485 S. HIGHLAND | MEMPHIS, TN 38111
Fax: (901) 320-1252
Please state job title in your cover letter. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Check out our website for up to date job openings: myfoxmemphis.com.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER EOE/M/F/Veteran/Disabled